Saturday, April 3, 2010

My Nostalgia--1990s

This week I have been listening to music created in the 1990s, my favorite decade.  I didn't set out to do this, but one thing led to another after I heard "Linger" by the Cranberries playing in a restaurant.  My short work week was filled with Sixpence None the Richer, the Cranberries, Ace of Base, Smashing Pumpkins, even Vanilla Ice and MC Hammer.  It was great because I never hear those bands anymore.  I'd say I should listen to the radio more often, but I'm definitely not willing to do that.  YouTube works fine.

The 1990s also influenced my choice of movies and TV shows this week.  I watched many episodes of Sister Sister and Sabrina the Teenage Witch.  Today's television shows just cannot compare with the ones I was watching in elementary and middle school.  Although my taste in music has moved beyond the 20th century, my taste in television never will.  Movies are a different story.  Every decade has great movies, except for maybe the 1970s.  But I did revisit one from 1993 that still scares me today:  The Good Son.  I was so excited to see it; Elijah Wood is one of my favorite actors.  It's great to see a child actor who is still successful and clean.  I think Macaulay Culkin is trying to straighten himself out--maybe he'll have a Robert Downey, Jr., comeback. 

I miss the phrase, "Hey, this is the 90s."  "Hey, this is the 2000s," doesn't cut it.  Maybe by 2020 I'll be looking back on the 2000s or 2010s with sweet nostalgia.  Until then I'll be humming "I Saw the Sign" and remembering how great everyone looked in neon. 

No comments:

Post a Comment